What is the NDIS
The National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) provides funding and support for people with a permanent and significant disability, to help them live more independently and achieve their goals.
It was first introduced in 2013, and now provides support to people nationwide, and it is managed by the National Disability Insurance Agency (NDIA) and Local Area Coordinators and Early Childhood Partners. You can find your nearest office on the NDIS website.
The NDIS is funded by the federal government, with support from all states and territories across Australia. It is expected that there will be about 500,000 participants in the scheme when it is fully rolled out.
The NDIS is only available to people who meet the eligibility requirements. The requirements are:
- You must be under 65 years of age
- You must be living in Australia, and you are either a Citizen, a Permanent Visa holder or Protected Special Category Visa holder
- You must have a permanent and significant disability
- You need support from a person, use special equipment because of your disability, or need supports now to reduce your future needs
The first step when applying for the NDIS is to complete an Access Request Form. An access request can be started over the phone by calling the NDIA on 1800 800 110 between 8am – 8pm.
You will be asked to provide the following information:
- Your name, age, where you live and residency
- Evidence of your age and residence
- Evidence of your disability and how it impacts you
- Current and relevant reports from health professionals
- Permission to talk to other people about your disability
You can also ask for the form to be sent to you to complete in your own time, or with support from someone else..
When completing your access request you will need to provide evidence of your disability from a treating health professional. [Refer to Step 1 in the Picture]
The information you provide will help the NDIA determine your eligibility, so it’s important to provide accurate and detailed information. You can find out more about the requirements on the NDIS website.
Part 1 of 3.